About Me

My photo
I am Mom to two adult children, and Nana to one little boy. I share my home with three cats, Daisy, Jazz and Cupcake, or perhaps they share their home with me. I love wildflowers, art, books and I love all things red. I am an artist, a retired teacher of arts and humanities. I paint a lot. I am also an avid gardener, so much so that I write articles for a gardening website. I love writing.

Followers

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Surviving, with a little help

It's been so very cold here for the first week in January. And last night with the leak in a city gas line, I spent the night shivering.

Last year during the ice storm of the century also in January, we had no electricity for nearly 2 weeks. And the September prior to the ice storm, there were 4 days with the same problem, resulting from Hurricane Ike, who decided to move inland and take a swipe at Kentucky.

I don't remember ever being as adversely affected by weather, and I am a very old woman. I should have said I am a very old widow, but it bothers me to use that word. At any rate I am learning to survive, but only by the grace of God and a lot of help from friends.

It's somewhat interesting to find myself living alone, with my nearest relative more than six hours away, in an economy that has become frightening. After a life filled with people, I had to start all over again. Nothing is the same. It is a time of learning new things.

I've learned that it's quite wonderful to live in a small town where everybody knows my name.
I've learned to depend on those friendships to help me through rough times.
I've learned to turn off my heat when there is a gas leak.
I've learned to keep my cell phone in my pocket when I attempt to climb a 10 foot ladder.
I've learned to climb upon my roof, but getting down is another problem.
I've learned it doesn't matter whether or not one's freezer is stocked to overflowing, if there is no electricity, how much of that food can one 5 foot 113 pound woman eat before it ruins?

I'm still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment