About Me

My photo
I am Mom to two adult children, and Nana to one little boy. I share my home with three cats, Daisy, Jazz and Cupcake, or perhaps they share their home with me. I love wildflowers, art, books and I love all things red. I am an artist, a retired teacher of arts and humanities. I paint a lot. I am also an avid gardener, so much so that I write articles for a gardening website. I love writing.

Followers

Friday, January 8, 2010

No thanks, no meat...

I was getting myself all beautiful to go work in the little consignment shop where I create displays using items the consigners bring to sell. It's a great shop, a fun place where I can be as creative as I want. So I was getting beautiful.

I was almost there when there was a knock on the double bolted front door. Only unknowns use my front door. Those who know me use the door to my studio. So I answered the door.

Standing on my front stoop was a lovely woman dressed in jeans, a warm sherpa jacket, brightly striped scarf and gloves, with her long blond hair in a pony tail. She had smiling eyes.

"Hi, I'm Lisa, and I am with Country Home Foods. We have a special on Omaha steaks today, only $2.50 each, and I wanted to stop by and tell you about them."

Now the thermometer read 9 degrees, but the sun was bright and her eyes were smiling, so I said:

"No thank you, I don't eat meat."

"Oh but we have chicken and turkey and I also think we might have veal."

"No thank you, I don't eat meat."

"Oh, and pork, we have a great deal on pork tenderloin..."

"No thank you, I don't eat meat."

"How about your husband, I'll bet he would love our chicken fried steak or our breaded chicken breasts. Either would be great with creamy gravy and mashed potatoes on a day like today..."

"Ummmmm. I. Don't. Eat. Meat. Ever. And I have no husband."

"Oh, I am so sorry, well, you have a great day and I dearly love your scarf." And her eyes continued to smile as she bounced off my front steps.

I took my well loved scarf and my own smiling eyes and went back to continue working on looking beautiful. About ten minutes later there was a knock on my door....the front door that nobody uses.

"Hi, my name's Lisa and I am with Country Home Foods and we are having a special on O......Oh, I've been here before, you don't eat meat and I love your scarf. You have a great day."

Sigh. I thought for a minute I was caught in a time warp.

No comments:

Post a Comment