About Me

My photo
I am Mom to two adult children, and Nana to one little boy. I share my home with three cats, Daisy, Jazz and Cupcake, or perhaps they share their home with me. I love wildflowers, art, books and I love all things red. I am an artist, a retired teacher of arts and humanities. I paint a lot. I am also an avid gardener, so much so that I write articles for a gardening website. I love writing.

Followers

Saturday, January 9, 2010

A fun day finally...

It's 9 degrees outside and what does one do when it's only 9 degrees? I might as well write.

It was a great day. I ran to the shop full of energy, ready to take on the displays by storm. I particularly wanted to create some interest for the teen generation, so I rushed through some wall decor adding this and that to what already existed. I stuck a few teddy bears here and a few shirts on the wall there, added a blue scarf to a white fun suit, and then I started on a manikin.

Customers were in and out as I dressed the manikin, and there was fun conversation as well. I found some cool jeans to start with, and then the real work began. A tie dyed shirt, a few belts, a purse and some shoes, jewelry, well maybe, a jacket, a hat. She was finally all decked out and lookin' great when in walks a lady who was maybe 40-ish and tiny. She took a look at my newly dressed manikin and said: "I need that shirt and maybe the hat, too."

So the lady bought the shirt, and I frantically looked for a replacement. It is not cool to leave manikins naked for very long. I found another shirt, which called for a purse replacement and also a different belt. Also another hat. All done then, and I went to the back to search for shoes. More customers came in. When I returned to the front, the manikin had no belt and no purse. Sigh. I begin my search for the two additional already sold items, and decided a piece of jewelry was definitely in order.

So I redressed the manikin, and by this time she and I were on very friendly terms. A teacher friend and her daughter came in, and the lovely daughter loved the shirt on the manikin, so she purchased it, and I ran to the back looking for another shirt. This time I took two shirts with me, and I hurried again to redress the naked manikin.

By the time the day was over I had spent 4 hours up close and personal with that one manikin. She was dressed when I left. I hope she holds on to her clothes this time, because I'm taking tomorrow off! I love this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment